Tuesday 10 November 2009

What's In A Name?

And so it is that I have given in to the encouragements of my very talented friend and jumped upon the blogging bandwagon. Here is the first of many plugs: www.thefabricofmylife.wordpress.com

I intend for this blog to be something of a 'safe space' for my mind to wander whilst keeping you, Dear Reader (the first of many old clichés), up to date with all things Restoration.

Restoration Cake was born of my love of cake and King Charles II. You may have had to re-read that last sentence. I read a lot about Charles II and he is something of a personal hero. No doubt I will elaborate upon this at a later date.

Charles' patronage of beauty and pleasure and science and architecture and the arts never cease to inspire me. Yet he was a swan, regarded by history as the consummate playboy King, whilst all the time the feet were frantic beneath the surface of the water. Maybe somewhere in my future musings I will be able to adequately illustrate this point - though for now, you must forgive me because I am trying desperately hard to keep this short and punchy, though my natural style is perhaps more flowery!

You may wonder where this fusion of cake and 17th Century history met... I can tell you that it was in that moment where I finally thought of a name for my cakes to be traded under. I needed a name that meant something to me; something different from the fashionable Hummingbirds and Magnolias. Restoration worked on so many levels.

You probably get the 'personal' element of the choice by now. The name comes loaded with connotations of aesthetics and a general ethos: beauty and pleasure. Forever beauty and pleasure. This is what I strive daily to impart through Restoration Cake.

I leave you with an apt exchange of words and some pictures of my cakes. With both I hope to have whet your appetite.

Cx

Words pinned to the King's bedroom door by John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester:

Here lies our Sovereign Lord, the King whose word no man relies on.
He never said a foolish thing
Nor ever did a wise one.


And the King's reply:

My words are my own
But my acts are my ministers'.


No comments:

Post a Comment